"Wanted to purchase Episcopal Church Kalendars for 2009. Had some questions as to which of the two versions of the Kalendar would be suit my needs. John was as helpful as he could possibly be - e-mailed me twice with info about the Kalendars. Once I decided the Kalendars were neatly packaged and promptly shipped. And the price as more than reasonably. Certainly would do business again!
Guard Us Sleeping
Brothers of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist
This is a recording consisting of two sung Compline services, plus additional hymns. The services are sung in traditional chant by the Brothers of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist. The hymns consist of seven Seasonal Plainsong Hymns, one for each liturgical season of the year, and one for Ascension day, and then twelve hymns that relate to night time to accompany the Compline service.
The 30-second portion of the track that you can listen to (above) is "Psalms 4, 91, & 134
," track 2.
Compline - Version 1:
Opening Plessing, Confession of Sin, and Preces
2) Psalms 4, 91, & 134
3) Scripture: Matthew 11:28-30
4) Hymn: So the Day Dawn for Me
5) Versicles and Responses, Kyrie, the Lord’s Prayer and Collects
6) The Song of Simeon, and Dismissal.
Seven Seasonal Plainsong Hymns:
7) Advent: A Winter Rose Shall Flower
8) Christmas: O Savior of Our Fallen Race
9) Epiphany: O Light of Light, Love Given Birth
10) Lent: Servant of God
11) Easter; Entombed Behind the Stone of Late
12) Ascension: O Lord Most High
13) Pentecost: Spirit of Mercy Truth and Love.
Compline – Version 2:
14) Opening Preces & Confession of Sin
15) Psalms 31 & 123
16) Scripture: Luke 6:24-38
17) Hymn: Dark and Comely, Evening Veils
18) Versicles and Responses
19) Night Prayer
20) Song of Simeon and Dismissal.
Twelve Hymns and Song for the Night:
21) Abide with Me
22) Lord of All Hopefullness
23) Eternal Light, Shine in My Heart
24) God Be In My Head
25) Day by Day
26) Way, Way, Way
27) Nunc Dimittis
28) God that Madest Earth and Heaven
29) Now the Green Blade Riseth
30) Guide Us Waking, Gaurd Us Sleeping
31) the Day Thou Gavest
32) Now Have You Set Your Servant Free.
New Release: April 2004
Average Customer Review
very relaxing music I can read by
By: Elizabeth - New Britain CT
Excellent forrestful prayer at night.
By: Gene - Ouster Bay, NY
I *love* this CD. The Brothers of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist sing beautifully and without music, pitch pipes or any other noticable aids. Compline is my favorite office of the day, and this CD brought me new appreciation for chanting. They stick right to the Book of Common Prayer. The sound could be better. There is a big drop in volume when one person is singing versus the group together. Aside from that, it is very enjoyable.
By: Rae - Fullerton, CA